Monday, August 29, 2011

Former Governor Blanco

Kathleen Blanco has been diagnosed with a form of eye cancer. She has begun writing a journal to detail what she's going through. Here is a recent excerpt found at BayouBuzz.com:

Cancer Radiation

Written by Bayoubuzz StaffMonday, 29 August 2011 13:21

BlancoThe following is the most recent edition of Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco’s Journal which she has started since discovering she was suffering from a rare eye cancer.

"My First Report Since Radiation

Dear Friends: Thank you, again, for you sustaining prayers. I have had little to report in the past few weeks as my eye slowly healed from the plaque radiation treatment done in Memphis. I was not bed-ridden, but I did spend the past weeks being extra kind to myself by following doctors orders: 1)not lifting heavy items (you suddenly realize bags of groceries are heavier than you should be lifting); 2) keeping my head above my heart (which is harder than you think when some incidental falls to the floor and the tendency is to bend down and swoop it up instead of sitting and carefully reaching for it); 3)and getting more rest including day-time naps (a luxury I had never experienced).

My eye no longer looks like a Raisinet. It looks like a normal eye. My vision in my treated eye is still not back to what it was before radiation, but it is good enough for me to resume driving without scaring myself. I am checked regularly by my local doctors to ward off unforseen problems and after waiting 8 weeks, I took another trip to Memphis so Dr. Wilson could check my progress.

The odds of radiation reducing these tumors are very high, but a small percent of patients do not respond well and have to have the cancerous eye removed, afterall. I was praying I not fall into that rare number, so with some last minute nervousness, Raymond, Karmen and Monique and I left for Memphis. After ultrasound and other eye tests I was relieved to learn that the tumor in my eye which first measured at 6mm high is now 4.5mm. Shrinking is a good thing and I pray this continues. Hallelujah! I still have swelling in the macula and Dr. Wilson gave me a shot (yep, in the eyeball!--OUCH! ) to help the swelling go away. Of course my next prayer mission is for the swelling to go down as this is what is affecting the clarity of my vision.

I will continue to see my local eye doctor for periodic exams and return to Memphis in December for comprehensive tests like CT scans, liver studies, etc., to detect the presence of matastasis if it exists (I PRAY NOT!) and to determine whether the tumor continues to shrink (I PRAY SO!)

i look quite normal, but still have a bit of fatigue to deal with. Keep me in your prayers along with all our friends who suffering debilitating or dangerous illnesses. Other than being somewhat tramatized by all of the above, my family is doing well. God bless all of you, and again, thanks for your hevenly petitions in my name. Love you all, Kathleen"

No comments:

Monday Morning Smile