Saturday, December 03, 2011

Dauphin Island November 2011

I am a shoreline person. My blood pressure drops when I hear the sound of the surf.  I adore walking barefoot in the sand. I live within a mile of a bayou, I cross Lake Pontchartrain 2 times a day 5 days a week.  I have a thing for pelicans. My wonderful husband is the same way.  So we decided to renew a short tradition that began in 2003: spending Thanksgiving Week on Dauphin Island.  This tradition lasted only two years due to Katrina, and it was wonderful to get back there after 7 years.

I am happy to report that Dauphin Island is back better than ever.  She has a new West End Beach which is perfect for beach combing, walking your dog sans leash (if you are a responsible owner and your dog is not aggresive), bird watching, photography and just plain relaxing. 

We took thousands of pictures during our stay there.  We would arise before the sun and walk the block to the beach and then come home for lunch and rest and return to the beach about 4:30 for sunset.  I loved the daily schedule. 
We came home sunburned, happy and with a cooler full of beautiful seashells. 

I grabbed a few pictures that somewhat show just a fraction of the beauty and peace that we observed in our 7 days in idyllic Dauphin Island, Alabama

Image
Our dog Deuce in dog heaven....look at all of those sticks!!


Image
He chooses a stick that favors his breed an size and runs with it....


Image
Deuce and his favorite human jumping for the stick


Image
It's hard to believe that the first day we were there Deuce wasn't comfortable with the surf....he adapted quickly


Image
One of my favorite part of the day was sunrise.  The pelicans would start to fly low across the surf looking for breakfast.  They are magnificent birds.


Image
When we looked out of our screened in back porch we faced a lagoon.  During our week there we discovered that this lagoon was home to a beautiful blue heron.


Image
Because I love the shoreline, I am so happy to find the shells that the tide brings in.  This pic shows my favorite of the shells, the ones I like to call 'ridged' shells. 


Image
This shot shows the broken shells we were attracted to.  That holey one on the bottom sits on my desk at work.  It's my favorite.



Image
Hubby caught this picture of a pelican doing the dive for food.  Isn't it awesome?  We sat for at least 30 minutes watching the pelicans eat lunch during this particular day.


Image
I apologize that I didn't rotate this picture and can't figure out how to do it in wordpress.
Hubby spent 30 minutes slowly approaching this magnificent heron in the surf. 


Image
tiny shorebird


Image
We caught every sunset while we were there.  One night we caught this awesome sight.


Image
I became obsessed with these fences, especially at sunset because the light changed everything. 



Image
you can set your clock by the time that the pelicans go home for the night.  It was a magnificent show every evening about 5:10 PM to see flocks of the birds heading home.



Image
This is an evening shot of the lagoon that faced our porch.  It was a wonderful sight which - if you paid attention - would attract a variety of birds.  I tried on several occasions to catch a kingfisher but he was too fast for me.

Image
Another shot of the pelicans going home. 



Image
I like this sunset shot



Image
This is a morning shot of a pelican flying across the surf



Image
A wonderful sunset shot when the waves were active



Image
Our first night there I caught this shot of a blue heron walking along the beach, oblivious to the people fishing.  It gave me a good gut feeling to how the rest of the week would go.  And it did.  if only I could live there.  ;/



Image
Here is a close up shot of the blue heron who lived in the lagoon across from our camp.  He became noisy if we got to close




Image
I can't tell you how emotional I get when I see shrimp boats in action.  Weird, i know.  I find them so beautiful.  Another reason I enjoy Dauphin Island.....great shrimp boat shots.



Image
My favorite shot of Deuce for the whole week.  He is magestic in this picture, despite the fact that we know what a big doofus crazy goofy puppy that he really is.

2 comments:

ForgottenGulf.com said...

Great report and cool pooch w/beach photos!

Jude said...

Those pictures are beautiful! They would make great gifts.

Monday Morning Smile