Tuesday, October 31, 2006

All Saints Day

I'm not a big Halloween freak, guess I don't have the imagination for it. Besides that, horror movies/costumes give me the heebee jeebees.

I do love the history that comes with All Saints Day, though. Living in the Bayou Liberty/Lacombe section of southeast Louisiana with its large population of creoles, All Saints Day is celebrated in quiet beauty.

DuBuisson Cemetery is a very old graveyard that dates back to the 1800's.


(photo courtesty of bonfouca.org)

Every All Saints Day, the graves are cleaned and small candles are lit right around dusk. Seeing this creates a most ethereal feeling. I haven't been there for several years and the last time I went I had to keep an eye on two young children who wanted to climb all over the graves. My daughter is now away at college and I'm thinking that perhaps hubby & I will visit Dubuisson Cemetery tomorrow evening and light a few candles.

an audio slide show on the lighting of the graves in Bayou LIberty



In the meantime, here's a couple of other links to the Bonfouca area

The Lee Galatas house and store on Bayou Liberty Road

Katrina's affect in this area

Bounfouca dot org website.


Bonfouca has many different pronounciations: "BON FOO KA" "BON FUCK A" "BONNA FOOKA". Take your choice. :)

No comments:

Today at the trump trial