Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Quitters are winners in some cases

I quit my 20 year habit of smoking cigarettes on July 20, 1998. 

 24 years ago today. 

 I was 42 years old and smoked at least 2 packs a day. More when I drank. 

 I will never NOT be proud of this extremely long and arduous habit. 

 During my quit I subscribed to "news groups" on the infant internet. I miss those groups. 

 I am still in touch with a group of "sister quitters", women from all over the country who quit around the same time. 

 We're all "facebook friends" and still communicate with each other. 

They were scared for me after Katrina. 
One of them passed on way too young. 
Two of them lost their very young, very beautiful daughters. 
One of them lost her husband, the love of her life, to cancer. 
One of them lost her husband to suicide. 
One of them still lives with her husband and grandkids in Canada. 
One of them actually visited New Orleans and we met face-to-face! 

 I collected hundreds of posts about quitting that I found inspiring, thoughtful, funny and helpful in my quit.

 If anyone out there is quitting/has quit, email me and I'll send you one of those posts a day to get you through dealing with the "nicodemon" 

 judythorne@mail.com 

 Here's my quitmeter, for my 22nd Anniversary





No comments:

Monday Morning Smile